Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Plantain (Vazhakkai) Roundels


Growing up, plantain was one of the vegetables I sincerely disliked. Four years in the college hostel with its watery dal, half cooked rice and stiff as a frisbee chapattis helped me appreciate my mom's cooking and developed in me a new found respect for all vegetables. I learnt this particular recipe from my mom-in-law and this also happens to be a favorite of my husband.

Ingredients
  1. 2 medium Plantains
  2. 2 large pods of garlic
  3. 1 tsp chilly powder or to taste
  4. Pinch of turmeric powder
  5. Salt
  6. 2 tsp oil

Directions
  1. Grind the garlic, chilly powder and turmeric into a paste.
  2. Peel and cut the plantain into slightly thick round slices.
  3. Cover and cook the plantain along with the paste. Take care not to over cook it so that the slices don't break.
  4. Heat a griddle with some oil. Spread the plantain on it and roast both sides for couple of minutes.

Goes well with rice and curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment